CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Welcome to Cogito Ergo Scribit

Cogito Ergo Scribit is where I write about writing. I'm a writer with more than a decade of experience, and I'd like to lend my experience to others while I continue to learn myself.

Everything here is copyright Carrie L. Eckles unless otherwise stated.

I enjoy reading comments and welcome the insights and questions of others. Like my blog? Let me know! Think I could do something a little better? Tell me how. I welcome everyone's thoughts.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Cogito's First Discussion Post: Fan Fiction (Yay or Nay)

First of all, you might be wondering what a discussion post is. Basically, it's a post where I start a topic, such as the one I'm mentioning in this one, and you lot chime in with your commentary. We get a dialogue going on through comments and "discuss". Very simple concept, but it can be a lot of fun as long as we keep it civil and respect each others' opinions, no matter how much they might differ from our own.

Fan Fiction

Fan fiction is a pretty simple term that's used to describe fiction written by fans -- just like the name says. Fan fiction can be derived from not only books; but also movies, video games, and television.

Some writers feel honored by inspiring their fans to play with their characters, others simply tolerate it as a fact of life; and there are others still who actively campaign against it (though this is rare).

So, the question is...

Fan Fiction: yay or nay?

Where do you fall into the generalized spectrum? Would you feel violated if someone was so enthralled by your work that they wanted to write their own take? Or would you be tickled pink with pride?

Personally, I'd fall into the latter category. As long as they're not making money off of it or claiming it as their own (which is very taboo and illegal), then I would have no problem. In fact, I would probably read the fan fiction. Why? Because imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all; not to mention, it's always funny to see how people think your story will turn out. Sometimes, they're right on the money; others, they've got no clue and they're as wrong as spandex pants on a hot summer's day.

So, what do the rest of you writers think? Is it an abomination or a celebration? You decide.

4 comments:

Graham Moody said...

I would be most interested in trying to emulate James Lee Burke. His fiction, though populated by depraved criminals and cops with big issues, shimmers with beautiful prose.

Brian the old man said...

I agree with you. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But I also want credit if someone was to write using mine. I don't think I would write any fan fiction, though you never know, if the story intrigued me I might.

Anonymous said...

I love George R. R. Martin and his talent for character creation is astounding, but despite how much I love Eddard Stark, I dont' assume to be able to use him in a creation of my own. Characters are too personal and their persona comes from more than we ever get to see on the page.

I think that it is rare for an avid reader to be able to recreate a character as well as the author. Knowing how much goes into a creation a character's background and mantra, I don't think I could use the characters of others and, as a result, don't know if I would want other people trying to emulate mine.

Unknown said...

I think all of you raise valid points. While imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, I don't think the point of fan fiction is to necessarily emulate it. After all, each writer has their own distinct voice. Rather, I think it's more of an opportunity for people who aren't necessarily writers to say to the world: "this is what I wished happened in the story" in a creative way. In that sense, it's like a creative way to do a blog or forum post.

The reason I posted on this topic was because many of the writers I know out there learned to love writing by writing fan fiction. For many, it's their first time to ever dip their toe into the pool of writing.