CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Welcome to Cogito Ergo Scribit

Cogito Ergo Scribit is where I write about writing. I'm a writer with more than a decade of experience, and I'd like to lend my experience to others while I continue to learn myself.

Everything here is copyright Carrie L. Eckles unless otherwise stated.

I enjoy reading comments and welcome the insights and questions of others. Like my blog? Let me know! Think I could do something a little better? Tell me how. I welcome everyone's thoughts.

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Interview with Living a Life of Writing's Rebecca Emrich

Rebecca Emrich of Living a Life of Writing is a good friend of mine; she's also a talented writer and a phenomenal blogger. I asked her if it would be alright to conduct an interview with her, as I think writers can learn by her example; she kindly obliged bringing with her some valuable insights about her personal experiences in the world of writing.

C.E.: I know that you're an avid and dedicated writer, but you also have a blog dedicated to Transylvania. What was your inspiration for writing Things About Transylvania?

R.E.: I am writing a book on the effects of the Second World War on the people of Transylvania, and more specifically the Saxons of the land. When I would tell people this, I would be met with blank stares -- or worse still: is that where Dracula is from? ( For the record: no he's not; in fact [Dracula] doesn't exist, but a man like him by the name of Vlad Tepes was born there.)

C.E.: As any reader of Living a Life of Writing knows, you regularly update with unique, interesting, and intriguing posts and content. How do you do it? How do you manage to stay so motivated? What's your secret?

R.E.: Ha ha! Nothing really. When I first started, I didn't get many readers and that was hard. But I decided that I needed to write and this was a way to prove myself; in fact it was a comment that ended up on my blog -- [a] rather nasty [comment] I might add -- that made me decide to find a better way. I played around with it until I found what works for me and my readers. I do series, and I write them up ahead of time, revising depending on the comments made by people.

C.E.: It seems from reading your posts that you write with a mixture of experience, research, and an intense passion for writing. How do you manage your time so efficiently? And what inspires you most when you're writing new posts for your blogs?

R.E.: I write with a mix of "error" experience, as I call it, one that comes from making mistakes looking back and fixing them; but also looking at what works and not changing it. I love writing, and after a fashion, I am a people person and a teacher at heart; and if one person becomes a better writer because they read something from my blog -- that is great. I also want to be able to write a couple of novels. Needless to say, I have a routine that doesn't change much from day to day. A big time board [also] helps.

C.E.: I know that you're working on a nonfiction project. What can you tell us about that?

R.E.: See my answer [to the first question]. But it comes from a interest in history, and in writing [down] oral history. I have interviewed men from Transylvania who were a part of the Second World War, or [I have interviewed] their families if they are dead.

I am focusing on the Russian Front, an area of the war not spoken about here in North America. These men have a mix of fear and trepidation; [...] I'm not writing about the war per se, but the effect of the war on them (the people). There was an effect of lost land and life, but also of shame and defeat. The men are [of] German origin and are speaking out for the first time. This is the first in a series, as the next book focuses on the women.


C.E.: What's your favorite aspect of writing, and what's your favorite genre to write in?

R.E.: [...]My favorite aspect is -- believe it or not -- the editing; the [aspect of] getting something better than the first draft splat.

My two favorite genres historical fiction and fantasy.


C.E.: If you could live in any time period in history, when/where would you live and why?

R.E.: 1960s. I love the era, and it was, perhaps, the last time when people were a bit more innocent.

C.E.: What do you want the world to know about you?

R.E.: I love writing, and I have a passion for Motown.

C.E.: What's your best advice for someone who's just beginning to write?

R.E.: Write EVERY day for fifteen minutes -- if not more; but [definitely write] every day. Not on a blog, but on your book or article or whatever.

C.E.: What are your long term goals in writing?

R.E.: To publish several books in both fiction and non-fiction.

C.E.: Where do you see yourself in five years, professionally?

R.E.: Hm, good question! [I would like to see myself] have a million dollars from my books. But, most important, [I would like to] be respected by the writing community.

I really enjoyed interviewing Rebecca. I've been a loyal reader of her blogs for many moons now. From where I'm standing, Rebecca is a rising star. I can definitely see her going places. This is a writer to watch out for, folks.

6 comments:

AmberInGlass said...

Grrr, I thought I commented here too. I must have been dreaming. This is very excellent work. Great job the both of you!

Unknown said...

Haha, thank you! You're NEXT. *glares evilly* (Which is rather inappropriate, since this isn't at all a bad thing.) lol

Shurik said...

Nice post I have been visiting her blog to know more about Romania and Transylvania for months, but I never knew her that well personally. Thanks for the post. take care

Unknown said...

Her writing blog is also a great resource for writers. Thanks for reading! =)

Shurik said...

Yes I have been there too recently. I should follow it more to become a better writer. In fact I am amazed with the her non-fiction book project. And I am waiting for its release :)

Unknown said...

Yeah, definitely. Books on Transylvania are so rare, and it's a subject that she's very passionate about, so it should be an awesome read.